If your child’s behavior is impacting their quality of life, it can feel helpless. Navigating your options for treatment can be daunting, and you want to make sure you are making the best decision for your child. Applied behavioral analysis (ABA) is a research-based autism treatment that has been shown to be an effective intervention for those with autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
Through positive reinforcement, ABA aims to increase desired behaviors and decrease undesired behaviors. ABA therapy is tailored to each individual and can be used across settings, including at home, at school, and in the community.
At Rising Above ABA, we are passionate about helping individuals with ASD reach their potential and about supporting families along the way. When your child has a diagnosis and you are seeking treatment, we can help. Reach out to our team at 888.572.7473 today to learn more.
What Is ABA Therapy?
Applied behavior analysis (ABA) is based on the science of behavior and how we all learn. While ABA has been used to treat a variety of issues, it is most commonly associated with treating ASD. Numerous organizations including the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Psychological Association have endorsed ABA therapy.
ASD can present a number of challenges, including difficulties with social skills, communication, and repetitive or restrictive behaviors. ABA therapy can be used to target all of these areas.
ABA therapy is unique in that it is tailored to each individual. The therapist works with the individual and their caregivers to set goals and create a plan to reach those goals.
Typically, ABA therapy is provided in 1:1 sessions, but it can also be delivered in small group settings. The number of sessions and the length of each session will depend on the individual’s needs. At Rising Above ABA, our board-certified behavior analysts and behavior technicians are trained to our high standards and deliver high-quality ABA therapy.
What to Expect from Applied Behavioral Analysis
ABA therapy can be provided in a variety of settings, including at home, in clinic, and in school.
At-home ABA therapy has unique benefits to other settings such as in-clinic or school-based therapy. It allows parents and caregivers to implement the strategies and techniques that are being used in therapy to ensure all skills learned during therapy can be carried over with all people and settings. Parent training is a key component of at-home ABA therapy and is essential to its success—this allows parents and caregivers to feel empowered and confident in their ability to support their child’s development of new skills.
Benefits of Applied Behavioral Analysis
What makes ABA therapy so successful is its focus on measurable goals. ABA therapy is data-driven, which means that progress is constantly being monitored and data is used to guide decision-making. This allows therapists to see what is working and adapt the therapy plan as needed.
Some of the biggest benefits of ABA therapy include:
- Improved social skills – From learning how to make eye contact and engage in back-and-forth conversation to making friends and reading social cues, ABA therapy can help individuals with ASD develop the social skills they need to succeed.
- Improved communication – Both verbal and nonverbal communication can be improved through ABA therapy. This may include learning to use words and gestures to communicate, as well as developing the ability to understand and respond to the communication of others.
- Decreased repetitive or restrictive behaviors – ABA therapy can help individuals with ASD decrease any repetitive or restrictive behaviors they may be engaging in. This may include self-injurious behaviors, property destruction, or repetitive movement patterns.
- Improved attention and focus – ABA therapy can help individuals with ASD improve their attention span and focus on tasks.
- Improved academic performance – ABA therapy has been shown to improve academic performance in individuals with ASD. This may include improvements in reading, writing, and math skills.
Helping your child reach their full potential is our goal. For effective ABA therapy without a waitlist, contact us today.